« Chocolate | Main | He Will Be 2 months on Friday »

March 31, 2006

March Perfect Post

My time is limited since I had the baby. I haven't learned to multitask while I sit idle and he nurses. I don't know if I want to learn to do other things at the same time either.

Feeding time is a special time when I sit and rock my baby and watch his sweet face. It is a time when I absorb and learn his every habit. I am learning to read his body language with presicion.

This is something that makes Steven feel inadequate or should I say not as useful(?). I try and explain it is because I am with the baby 12 hours a day alone, I am the caretaker therefore I observe more. It doesn't mean he is any less to the welfare of our child.

I still see the hurt flash across his face when I can sooth our baby and he can't.

I am also flippant at times and say something like, "It's because I have boobs."

Sometimes I am territorial, especially when he is fussy in a way that indicates something is wrong and nothing can be found that is wrong and his cries are so pitiful to my ears. And I will say, "I am the momma." And I relieve him of the baby and sooth him because I CAN NOT sit by while my baby cries. If he is going to cry he can cry in my arms, dammit.

So as I said my time these days is limited. I don't get around to everyone in one day every day. It might take me two days to visit. This week it took me four days to visit every one. I had a crying fussy baby who seemed to have a tummy ache and needed to be held and rocked almost all day long.

By the time I made it around the neighborhood I found I had missed far too much. Kim over at Glamourouse has had a realy bad week. Her home was burglerized. She has been dealing with the violation, loss, the emotional distress.

In the midst of trying to wrap her head around it all and find some sanity she has written a beautiful piece about women, blogging, support, friends all over the world and friends close at home, trying to have it all, beating yourself up along the way and making an amazing discovery.

I am always conscious of the wonderful women in this world I have been able to meet through this medium. I never want to take any of you for granted. I hope you all feel special and know that I do count you as friends. I am thankful for you, readers, commenters, and lurkers alike. I am amazed by the network of bright, educated women I encounter every single day.

I don't know how to express what I feel for each you. Kim had no trouble and she expressed herself beautifully.

This month I award the March Perfect Post award to Kim at Glamourouse for her post You Know.

For more Perfect Posts visit MommaK@Petroville and Lucinda@SuburbanTurmoil.

A Perfect Post

Posted by Angie at March 31, 2006 07:40 AM

Comments

Of course you are right when you say you can soothe the baby because you have boobs. He can smell your milk when you hold him, and that soothes any baby! I know how you feel when he is fussy. When mine were like that, I wanted to be the one who held them and made them feel safe, even if their tummies hurt or they were crying for no discernible reason.

Posted by: kenju at March 31, 2006 08:41 AM

What a neat idea and a great post. I don't think people in our "real worlds" can really understand this community unless they experience it. It has given me so much!

Posted by: Mega Mom at March 31, 2006 09:05 AM

There is nothing like bonding with your baby while he nurses. It does bring out the territorial matriarch in all of us.

I'm glad you directed us over to Kim's. It was indeed a beautiful post.

~K!

Posted by: Kismet at March 31, 2006 11:10 AM

This was truly a brilliant post. I'm glad we both read Glamourouse. :)

Thanks for playing!

Posted by: Lucinda at March 31, 2006 03:23 PM

Thank you sooo much for your "nomination" but far far more for your support and wonderful words to me. It has been a challenging few weeks to say the least, this week being particularly of interest. Your support is sooo appreciated.

Posted by: the kim half of glamorouse at March 31, 2006 03:51 PM

Isn't it just like you to write a perfect post about a perfect post? Thank you for taking the time to be here today.

xo

Posted by: MommaK at March 31, 2006 03:55 PM

Thank you for the recommendation. I love finding new blogs to visit! And I hate sifting through the chaff. And I need to do a better job keeping up with you and all the other great bloggers who are just so reliable. Thanks again.

Posted by: Kristy at April 1, 2006 02:48 AM

Hey Angie. I followed a link to that same post a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed it.

Posted by: Miz S at April 1, 2006 07:18 AM

Beautiful posts, both hers and yours.

Posted by: liz at April 1, 2006 08:47 AM

I've missed seeing your gorgeous baby! I'm glad you had lovely pictures up. Tell daddy that there will be many times when only HE can fix what's wrong. It's good for babies to have both mommy and daddy when they can... lucky you, lucky him, lucky baby!

Posted by: d at April 5, 2006 11:47 AM

I loved those times spent baby holding and bonding. It really can't be exactly the same for the dad, although my husband was great with our fussy older daughter. He would just lie her on his stomach, while I escaped for a walk. It did all of us good!

Posted by: Margaret at April 7, 2006 01:22 AM